From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andy Mikonis r41hp@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:27 PM
To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Battery Tray Color

The 71-mile 300-G (yes seventy-one miles) has a body color battery tray (Alaskan white). I think that closes the books on '61s anyway.

On Dec 10, 2015, at 8:11 AM, 'John Grady' jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For sure they would not ever have inventoried various color battery trays, and for sure when it was made, as a loose part,  it was probably primed or painted..maybe black. It was probably on the car when the whole body was painted at times, or not? And non black ones might still be painted-- underneath the body color,-- black? Do we know? Might relate to the special ram car inner fender access parts, inner fender  too. Maybe the battery tray was put onto them, special step , as car would be built possibly with non 300 inner fenders, or none? then 300 ram car inner fender body part painted with tray? Or some separate step thing? 300 ram cars have to be almost one off , or grouped, compared to thousands and thousands of non ram bodies. Battery tray attaches to special inner fender, a real complication on the assembly line? And a replacement tray from MOPAR would almost be for sure black. A restored car or even an unrestored car might have had a corroded battery tray replaced?? the early 12v batteries of 60’s had caps that spewed acid at times, ( any overcharge) many trays were hurt badly, holes under battery . A guy with a 300 might just change it in 1965 as part of caring for the car he liked. Then it is black. This needs to be thought through. Probably no one 100% right  answer is available, and might vary by year too. Or by Ram or not . Fasteners same color as body??, paint under/behind tray mount is???  Disturbed undercoating indicating replacement of tray?

Black is OK with me! (just an .02) .

I assume Jerry’s cars are all non ram 62; battery tray same color as car makes sense , one time in the spray booth, standard Chrysler process.