Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Intake manifold gasket replacement

Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Intake manifold gasket replacement

Thanks Ryan,
That pretty well describes what I did except that I followed the Felpro procedure and put sealer on the bottom of the valley gasket first and from head to head on the front and rear of the valley, installed the gasket, installed and snugged the front and rear clips, put sealer around the intakes on the top of thegasket, then installed the intake manifold. I had previously cleaned all mating surfaces thoroughly with carb cleaner and emery cloth, had blown out all holes with brake cleaner, hand brushed the screw threads, checked screw length on all screws  to make sure none would bottom out and oiled them.

I also did a dry assembly to make sure I had everything. The directions are to have all bolts tight within 5 minutes of starting with the sealer.I did my best and maybe made it, although I left off all the brackets, let it cure overnight, then removed bolts  as few at a time as possible, installed brackets and torqued bolts.

One handy tool which was made to my Jaguar shop manual is a precision ground hardened stainless steel 3/8 dia rod with one rounded (spherical). It is a jewel for aligning manifold bolts, especially the one on my car which has two brackets and a carb spring anchor stacked on top.  I wrestled with that for a few minuted until I remembered the Jaguar tool, and it was perfect. A gentle tap and things moved quickly into alignment.I tightened the other bolts , removed the tool and easily installed the last bolt.
    Thanks again Mike

PS-I attribute this failure to:

1. The two center bolts in each side of the manifold were not at tight as they should be. I do not know why.

2. Although all the high ribs on the old gasket were flattened, whenI installed this back in 82, I doubt if I used any sealer based on looking at the old valley gasket.

Tomorrow I’ll start it.