Re: [Chrysler300] 300G Rear Brake Backing Plates

Re: [Chrysler300] 300G Rear Brake Backing Plates

On my 62, a genius/artist welded larger nuts over the existing adjusting studies.I think there is a size with slides right over leaving some cleanse for welding. Mine retain t he beautiful weld bead . He did such a nice job, the arrows still show on the heads of the original adjusting studs. I used some roil and got mine freed up first, The much larger nut makes it easier to adjust also.
Mike Moore
300H
> On Feb 10, 2016, at 6:34 AM, John Grady jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Following might be controversial, spearing sacred cows!!
> Working on set like that now. Most you will find are rounded stuck etc . Some one ground or filed  this set i have to square shape .  Use open end . ( you can do that once cam is free to restore function, if that is close in goal, but to do right have to be off the car ?)   . I was looking at a way to fix. It looks like you could press a 1/2 20 nut in a big hydraulic press onto stud with some finessing . Hole in backing plate would have to be made larger to pass it . Have not looked at that part yet . Then weld center . Ground weld  clamp to nut not plate keep current out of cam . Trying to understand these brakes better . Grossly inept things " rebuilding" them cause problems . More coming !  First reaction on some new info --/ never turn drums + keep old shoes if 1/2 left . Circular wear scratches in drums hurt nothing . I think at times we cause ourselves problems with new shoes unless arc ground shoes .  Turning the drums requires that . But those machines  are all gone around here due to asbestos dust . Better old worn -in shoes rebuild cylinders etc that fit drums right than all new that are a different incorrect diameter . My 02 . Especially if not driven a lot .
> Spec is .003- .005 gap all along shoe. No way if you turn drums . 5000 miles of grabbing pulling and grief  can result... Shoes touch in a patch instead of whole length .  As well as rapidly dropping pedal .
> Not sure the 7 ft lb minimum force to turn is right either . If oiled to stop rust might be less . As near as i can tell if cam slips by itself it will tighten shoe . The way forces are . ( balanced by retainer when resting  no net force on cam ) anyone have experience with shoes that tightened by themselves?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 10, 2016, at 5:32 AM, cv300g@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a SET of Rear Backing Plates that they are willing to part with.
>>
>> I also need the Supports .
>>
>> The Supports are the double plated device that the Brake Springs attach to and they also have the adjusters that go thru the backing plate to adjust the brakes. The adjusters on mine are rounded as if someone in the past used vice grips on them to adjust the brakes.
>>

>> Lion Charlie Valentine
>>
>> 300G, 1962 300 Sport Convertible, 1965 Plymouth Barracuda

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)