RE: [Chrysler300] Electrical ammeter question

RE: [Chrysler300] Electrical ammeter question

Dave:

You may not have to make any changes if you are leaving the inoperative Ammeter in place as the current will flow back and forth safely through the meter—just will not actuate the needle (unless your Ammeter got totally melted down and destroyed).  If you have removed the Ammeter and replaced it with a Voltmeter, it is OK to connect the red and black wires.  I think each will have a ring terminal which you can connect with a tiny brass bolt.  Then protect that joint with tape or (better) heat-shrink tubing.  In my experience, even the best electrical tape deteriorates with time due to heat and age so be sure to protect that joint.  An even better connection would be to remove the ring terminals, twist the ends together and solder them before sliding the heat shrink tubing over them.  Certainly difficult up and behind the dash.

The Ammeter or this new connection essentially connect the alternator output (BATT.) to the + terminal of the battery with most of the accessory and other standard and optional electrical load being pulled off the (black) alternator feed wire before it gets to the ammeter.  The Ammeter then only shows the current flowing to (Charge) and from (Discharge) the battery.   Monitoring the system with a Voltmeter that provides a properly-damped needle or digital signal will tell you most of what you need to know about the health of your alternator/alternator regulator/battery system.

Best wishes,

Rich Barber

Brentwoode, CA