Re: [Chrysler300] Headlamps

In olden days, you could buy 55 watt or 100 watt non-sealed beam halogens from Cibie, Marchal, Carello, etc "for Off-road use only". Common thought was 55 watt (about 4.5 amps each at 12 volts) was ok with stock wiring but 100 watt (8 amps) bulbs were not.

Typical fuses in system were 15 or 20 amp and depending on what else was on same circuit, you could have problems. For the 100 watt or for aux driving or fog lights (also "for Off-road use only) typically you put a relay in and powered as close to direct as possible with their own fuse or fuses. It would probably be worth checking your fuse panel amperage for headlights and checking circuit to see what else is on same fuse.

On an older car, particularly one with dim lights, I would make sure wiring and especially grounds are good - put a voltmeter on the headlight connector and make sure you have good voltage ( i expect 13v or so with car running - but I'll defer to others on exact value). This could also be alternator / generator output or voltage regulator issues, but low voltage issue for whatever reason would need to be addressed before adding halogen lights.

I would also put an ohmmeter at lowest setting on negative leg of connector to a good ground for the heck of it - look for close to zero resistance - (again i defer to experts, but I would be concerned above 3 or 4 ohms). You could also troubleshoot ground by checking resistance from negative battery cable (disconnected) to negative terminal of headlight. This can also be a problem on dim tail lights - a common problem on older cars.

Bottom line - if everything else is ok, I would think current halogen units in the 55 watt range would be ok.

Edward Mills Antique Tractors 1930-1960 Antique Cars 1960-1985