From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ray Melton

Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012
5:25 PM

To: 'Larry Jabin'; 'George
McKovich'

Cc: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [Chrysler300] Modifying
1957 WCFB carburetors

Regarding the modifications outlined in the Factory
Service Bulletins, you will also note that in addition to drilling some new
holes and enlarging some passages, they specify changing to new metering rods
in both carburetors and different secondary jets in the front carburetor, none
of which are available any more. However, since I am planning on having those
modifications made to the WCFB?s on my 300C, I have searched for quite a while
and finally found a source for the elusive parts. John Hardgrove at The
Carburetor Shop in Eldon, MO (573-392-7378) will make the new rods for
you on the original machines purchased from Carter when they went out of
business in the ?70?s. These unique, totally manual machines from the 1940?s
can hold precision tolerances down to 0.00005? (five hundred-thousandths of an
inch ? about one hundredth the diameter of a typical human hair!) However, that
kind of precision machining does not come cheaply: the rods cost $320/set of
four and you must also purchase their WCFB rebuild kit @ $154 for two
carburetors. The new secondary jets are a paltry $15/pair. So, I?m looking at
$489 + $14 shipping just for the parts for the rebuild, PLUS the labor for the
restoration itself! This is likely to be a ~$1100 job!  (subsequent note:  Make that a $1350 job!)

The best part about having these new metering rods custom-made is that John has
all the original Carter part numbers and specs as well as the Carter-original
tiny brass billets, so he can also make the new metering rods in the standard
configuration as well as three more stages of ?lean? to adjust for
high-altitude operation. John Chesnutt wrote on December 15, 2008 listing the
Carter P/N?s for these different metering rods. I can forward that message to
any interested member if you are unable to locate it yourself.

Ray Melton

Las Cruces, NM

1957 Chrysler 300C convertible

White/Gauguin S/N 3N572517