RE: [Chrysler300] '56 300 engine on eBay

My 57 D500 ventilated the block too. Two of them successively ….two 325, D500 stick shift engines . I think the Dodge hemi had spindly rods. Bob Walker at hot heads says no. problem “was your right foot”. But 392 never did that … bad day all around.

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Moore mmoore8425@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 4:52 PM
To: John Grady
Cc: Rich Barber; paul; chrysler300
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] '56 300 engine on eBay

Hi John,

Time plays tricks on me.

What really happened as I now recall it was that I was given a 1955 Dodge sedan.  I paid $5 to rent a towbar, hence a $5 car. It was said to run rough, and that ultimately was the car with the missing conrod, pistons and half a cylinder skirt. In the Dodge Hemi  engine.

I then bought a junkyard DeSoto Hemi to replace it,year unk.  The wrecking yard assured me it would interchange if I swapped some parts around. I recall the engine mounts caused me to more. I rebuilt the DeSoto engine to the extent of putting new rings in it but nothing else-no valve job.

I finally got the engine in and was looking forward to a smooth running Dodge.Then it developed a massive pool of oil under the car and I shut it down.

It turned out my DeSoto engine had a hollow crankshaft which was there because it shared oil with the transmission (????). I recall discussing options such as plugging the end of the DeSoto crankshaft, swapping crankshafts etc. , but I sold it to the junkyard for $15 and they picked it up.

My earliest adventure into cars!

Mike Moore