Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2016 9:00 AM
Subject: [Chrysler300] Problem With Converting To 134A

My system is a 1962 installed into my 1960 300-F.

A mechanic tried to convert to 134A without taking the EPR valve out of the compressor. It worked great but would freeze up the evaporator and stop working.

Sent everything to Classic Air for rebuild and conversion. Their temperature switch makes and breaks power to the compressor blue wire if there is a freeze up. This replaces the function of the EPR pressure valve to cycle the compressor.

The evaporator is open and was blown out with compressed air.

System was charged and was not cold.

Classic Air said it was a bad expansion valve. Replaced it and no difference.

They said to charge the system with 134A at 80% of normal pressure. So they went down to 2.5 from 3 lbs.

Problem is that the filter housing on the top of the condenser gets cold but the line does not get cold where it enters the evaporator.

They put 4 lbs. in and I got 59 ° at the vents on the highway.

Pull off to the side of the road, with engine running, to see it working well and the cooling stops. Nothing frosting up.

Waiting for another expansion valve and on/off switch to be delivered.

Will be replacing both once they come in.

Any insight about where we are now?

Thank you, in advance, for any help or suggestions.

Tony

Posted by: <dverity@xxxxxxxxxxx>