Re: [Chrysler300] Problem With Converting To 134A

Re: [Chrysler300] Problem With Converting To 134A

Tony;
The problem with replacing the Expansion Valve is that you probably are not curing a problem.
The Compressor squeezes the liquid into  a gas, making it very cold.
That's why the line from the Compressor is cold and usually sweating.
The Expansion Valve's job is to reduce the gas to a liquid, via a small orifice.
As the liquid goes thru the evaporator, it absorbs heat and turns back into a gas,
then to the Condenser, where it sheds a lot of the heat, back to the Compressor, and so on.
That's why going into the Evaporator the line is cold and coming out it is hot.

If there is moisture in the system it will form a ice ball in the orifice and block the system.
Later it will melt and operate for a while, until it clogs again.
Key here is proper evacuation.  Even that is problematical if the Receiver-dryer is loaded with moisture, it's job.
If you haven't replaced the Receiver-dryer, do it while you have the system down this time.
There could be blockage or excessive moisture there.
Be sure to add any needed A/C oil, the new Receiver-dryer will require some.

You also mentioned blowing out the Evaporator, high pressure air going into here is a bad thing.
Air/moisture can be in lots of places inside here and not be removed with a light Evacuation.
I would suggest you have it Evacuated for at least several hours to be sure it is fully purged.
You want near 25" of vacuum, won't get there, but closer the better.
Then let it sit overnight and see what the Vacuum is in the morning, before charging.

Extra work, but with the constant problem you have, might as well overdo and be sure.

God luck, Ray
p.s.: we're sending our heat wave to you, enjoy...