From: Bob Jasinski [mailto:rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2016 4:30 PM
To: 'John Grady'; 'Allan'
Cc: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; dan300f@xxxxxxx; 'Fern Rivard'
Subject: RE: A&G's Re: [Chrysler300] Convertible top oil

I'm with you John, if they can make seals that stand up to hydraulic oil in car jacks, lifts, forklift trucks for years, why not brake systems?   Sure, older rubber parts may not have been compatible, but what about modern seal material?  I've had a hydraulic car lift in my shop since 1989, never had a leak or had to add fluid.  Not to start a huge discussion here, but, I too use silicone brake fluid and swear by it, have had it in my 300G since 1978.

The only thing I can think of, beyond potential rubber incompatibilities, is that brake engineers like the idea of a fluid (DOT 3,4) that is hygroscopic, that is, it absorbs moisture throughout the fluid, and keeps it from settling in low spots, and gradually lowers the boiling point of all the fluid.  This eliminates points were water can puddle that could boil, turn into a gas, and result in brake failure.  Also, corrosion would be reduced because the fluid absorbs the water.  But the down side is it is always there sucking moisture into the fluid unlike hydraulic oil or silicone fluid, and needs to be bled every 2-3 years.  I've gone as long as 18 years with the silicone filled brake system in my G without flushing the brake system, until I noticed the car pulling a bit to one side.  Once I noticed that, I pulled the front hubs and saw that the lower cylinder on one side began to leak.  Removed the brake cylinder, inspected it and found corrosion at the lowest point, indicating the presence of water causing the corrosion.  I rebuilt the system, had the wheel cylinders resleeved with brass, refilled with silicone fluid.  Now I bleed about every 7-10 years just to be safe, but it sure is better than every 2-3 years.  I have heard from other club members that have converted to silicone fluid in the late '70s and not bled since, but I don't know how often those cars are driven.

Bob J