[Chrysler300] RE: Holding up F&R

Hi Rich,

I distinctly remember reading somewhere that Kiekoffer (sp) put ?Imperial
wheels? with large bolt pattern on the race cars, so he either swapped whole
rear axles with center section, (or had some inner axles made for 8 ¾). Or
rewelded center section of wheel which I doubt . Interesting trivia ,some 55
expert may know about what they did. The thing I read mentioned the
advantages of the larger bolt pattern and I think wider base on rim. Whole
wheel is much beefier in photo. .

This was important stuff as GM center sections on chevy fell apart. A joke
really. The differential pinions on chev through 58 at least would strip, I
think there are only two, and the axles bend, causing wobble, and seal leaks
onto brakes  and wheel bearing issues ---Carl was right on top of that stuff
for sure. I would have put in whole Imperial unit if it were me. Interesting
that Chrysler thought (? Some?) Imperials needed that 9 + one; so that is
not correct, what was up earlier, on ?regular? Imperial ? ; not sure how
that big wheel info fits with info below which seems to say Imperial too,
was 8 3/4 in 55,56 . ( which makes sense) Did it still have big bolt pattern
wheels? Maybe Carl used earlier Imperial, or limo / truck/ HD / export
parts.

While on that, I noticed in the Leno thing (really well done by Bob, hard to
do that , live TV ad hoc?been there) he mentioned larger brakes with/ reason
for  61 15 ? wheels, which I do not think is right? We had 12? drums 57-61,
maybe 62 , irrespective of wheel diameter ? But as he said,  the slotted
hubcaps had to help, something I did not realize before. And wider 2.5?
shoes /drums at times . And in 57,8,9 they did have those fiberglass air
ducts pointing at the brakes, a legacy of still fresh in mind 55,56 issues??
as I believe Carl had added  ducting or something to ? back  brakes. On my
recent C resto, we had to fabricate those front air ducts out of metal,  as
fiberglass had disintegrated.

I have a 60 Buick 225 convert 401 v8, only GM car I really like.  Virgil
could have designed that!. It has those beautiful finned aluminum brake
drums, 12x3; it stops on a dime . Racing does ?improve the breed? .The
comment of our 300 being lighter than a hellcat is wild stuff. All we need
is that engine to beat a hellcat.

Was 8 ¾ new for 55? Might be an important part of the 300 story? 8.25 would
not have made it.