Doug Mayer
Northport, Maine
sent from my older iMac

On Aug 10, 2016, at 5:49 PM, 'John Grady' jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with that ---but silicone is not glue, it is primarily a sealant . gap filler …..whether it bonds with any given material , or you just can peel it right off in a nice smooth sheet is my concern. Have had that happen. The weatherstrip cement stays somewhat flexible, (becomes rubber) it is a thick bodied contact cement , yes, but you get 10-20 seconds maybe more depending on how much you wait /still wet ( under your control) . I use it everywhere ( in car restoration love the stuff. Silicone as it sets gives off acetic acid, another concern….. like I said many concerns, both ways . I do agree that solvents getting at that back grey paint is an issue..try a small dab first? On the other hand if they do not bite in , you have no real bond , stuff like the emblem falls right off.

I am only offering info…not taking any strong position beyond noting whether silicone really grabs it or you are just lucky (!) (you are) !!!! Luck plays a role?? .Probably a place for both. It (WSC) is made to bind rubber to chrome/ steel/paint on a car….= flexible . Glad no one mentioned epoxy…

From: Bob Jasinski [mailto:rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:35 PM
To: 'John Grady'; 'Val Jeffers'; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] 300 G Grille Emblem

John,

The concern I have is that weatherstrip cement is contact cement. It does not allow for adjustment once the two pieces are brought together. I would also be concerned about the solvent attacking the painted back. That's why RTV silicone works well, it stays flexible, won't attack the plastic (paint) and takes a while to cure, giving you plenty of time to step back and make sure the medallion is level and correct if needed.

Bob