Re: [Chrysler300] White wall tires

You are correct 1961 model year was last for wide whitewalls. 1962 was first for narrow (approx 1 inch) whitewalls. Around 1966 or 1967 they narrowed further to about 5/8 inch and in 67/69 there were odd triple whitewalls unique to specific cars and premium tires. 1971-72 had double whitewalls on fiberglass belted tires. Some later cars had 1.3 inch etc.

I have seen incorrect wide whitewalls on later cars and to someone who lived thru that era they just look wrong. Personally I would go with narrow whitewalls on a 64 and keep look original at a more reasonable cost. Similarly I don't like narrow whitewalls on 1961 and earlier, but that is a different problem.

The other thing is availability / cost / quality / freshness of what you get.

Bias tire reproductions are available from Coker and others, but I would go current mass production radials.

If you go wide white or any other width, you are most likely going to find cost is over $200 each for a low volume batch processed tire most likely made with older equipment, possibly not to current manufacturing standards and possibly not fresh production.

As I have previously stated, I like the Hankook Optimo H724 (Currently $73 on Amazon with free prime shipping or $312 Discount Tire on eBay - I have bought from both sources and tires are fresh date codes made in Korea or Indonesia). These are regular production radial tires available in Narrow White (about 3/4 to 7/8 inch wide if I recall correctly).

There are also other narrow white options - I think Toyo still makes a narrow whitewall in Extensa AS in P235/75R15 and Cooper Trendsetters (and the Mastercraft and other Cooper clones) still show on manufacturer sites in whitewall in certain sizes though reports of these being discontinued have surfaced.

Maxxis, Gremax, and Milestar have come on the scene more recently with narrow whitewalls in certain sizes. The Maxxis is a well known brand with a good reputation in ATV tires. Not sure about where Gremax and Milestar are made (China?) - the Milestars I have seen unmounted look pretty flimsy.

Or there are still several blackwalls including BF Goodrich, Michelin, etc. And of course Whitewalls of any size were an extra cost option back then - default was blackwall and you never have to worry about correct whitewall width. Or you can get Diamondback to put whitewalls of any width on these (probably voids manufacturer's warranty and not inexpensive).

Best

Edward Mills Antique Tractors 1930-1960 Antique Cars 1960-1985