[Chrysler300] Short ads on list server

Folks,
  I have been reading the thread on the above, and the most recent effort by Hugh to explain in more detail where he is coming from.  I must admit that generally the topic is not something I think about.  I enjoy the informality, the information, and the opportunities that arise to either acquire something I may need or see what trends may be.  I also belong to the Winchester Arms Collectors Association, which has a full up "forum" with headers for differing categories of topics, etc.  It is the only forum that I have visited, so my experience is based on but little information.
  If I understand correctly there is a desire to transition to a more formal "forum" format vs. the continuing free wheeling, unscripted, uncatalogued web site.  Either would work for me.  However, I may point out a few practical considerations.
The formal forum approach requires at least one if not several folks to dedicate a lot of their personal time to construct and maintain.  It requires constant monitoring.  I also suspect it costs more to have on the net.  I was not a part of the group who developed the forum, but think it took a couple of years to get it the way it is now.  Then for all that, folks get on the forum and despite fairly obvious headers, will log a topic into a category that is likely not the best for their topic.  AS result, I go through all the categories each day when I log on and review the forum.  Then there are glitches.  The forum is supposed to have little flags on the threads which you have not viewed yet, but in my case a couple of them refuse to go away, so I still go there to view if anything really new is posted.
  I would suggest at the next meeting a topic be posed for consideration to determine if there is enough interest to investigate what it might cost the club to set up a forum, and what effort it would take,e tc.  Likely it would take a couple of years getting it accomplished assuming (and that is a word fraught with danger!) at least one ambitious person were to take the lead in volunteering their time and expertise.  A paid professional could do so much quicker.
  Me?  I am not sure I wish my dues to go to pay for such effort as I get what I need from the present system.  If I may read between the lines some as well, then the next effort will potentially be to pay for a forum by deleting the mailings and going to strictly electronic media.  Lots of young folks appreciate that.  Me--I want a magazine I can read where and when I wish.  A strictly electronic medium and I am gone, as there will be no glue to hold me to this organization.
Tim Tomlinson
W. Central IL with a single 300-K now.

Posted by: timothytomlinson <timothytomlinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>