RE: [Chrysler300] Forum model?

Hello Dave,

You could run this on shared hosting as it would
have a lot fewer members than the Forward Look.
Shared hosting is what you have now.

The big expense is setting it up with the
software and maintaining upgrades in the forum software so the club site will
not get hacked.  Forward Look was founded and is
still run by a computer professional who does all his own work.
I have met him at Carlisle and spoken to him.

Do we have anyone who would want to select,
install and maintain forum sofware on the club web site?
Currently it is all html and maintained by
volunteers who basically know how to make web pages.
As far as I know none of them know much about web
servers or programming in the languages
that a forum might be written in.  As far as the
current club web server that is maintained by the host and as
far as I can tell they seem to do a good
job.  That service comes with a shared hosting account.

Also with a forum one needs moderators to keep
order and fight spam.  They do not need to be
that computer savvy but need to have knowledge
about the subject matter of the forum.
Would members be willing to do that for the club forum?

All this and more needs to be figured out before
any decision is made on this subject.

I have about 40 years of computer and systems analysis experience so have some
professional knowledge of what is involved with
implementing new IT functionality.
Can't say that I have ever implemented a forum though.

Regards,

Nancy Kramer

At 10:50 AM 12/13/2016, 'David Schwandt'
finsruskw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] wrote:

>Suggested reading
>
>http://www.forwardlook.net/features/server.htm
>
>Looks to me like it would take a sizable dues increase to fund.
>
>This on top of the current dues increase soon to take affect.
>
>Dave Schwandt

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: