From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of 'Carlton Schroeder' schroe99@xxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 7:42 AM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] Removal of 55 year old undercoating

Good morning,

Thank you to everyone for their good suggestions.  I'm glad nearly everyone
also copied the Club.  Mike Van der veen in Australia just replied to me
noting good results using a heat gun, scraper, and final cleanup with a 3M
rubber stripping wheel.  It was also a good lesson to me to ask my questions
first to all the experts in our Club before plowing ahead.  I now want to
also use some heat and will be very careful to properly deal with the
petroleum based solvents I've used to saturate the old undercoating.

So thank you all again.

Carlton Schroeder

(from even colder today Eagle River, WI)

When I cleaned the inner fenders of my 65 I took them to a media blasting/
metal cleaning company. They removed the undercoating by baking them in an
oven. The undercoating became brittle, lost its adhesion to the metal parts
and practically fell off. They were then media blasted and prepped for
paint.

My car was very rust free, the undercoating on the underbody was steam
cleaned and lightly recoated with fresh undercoating overtop the original.

Just in case you needed to know, this was sent from my iPhone.

On Jan 12, 2017, at 8:47 PM, Noel Hastalis cpaviper@xxxxxxxxxxx