From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Andy Mikonis r41hp@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 3:33 PM
To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Fwd: 300-G and its broken axle

Yes, this one is a real noodle scratcher. One thing that came to mind from John's comment here: back in the 90s I straightened out a bum brake job on a '61 Belvedere wagon (with Center Plane brakes and tapered axles.) The brakes had been locking up and the owner kept trying to drive it. Part of the collateral damage was the axle mangled the keyway and the axle turned inside the hub! The axle didn't shear in this case but it did cause a condition where the hub was "loose" on the shaft.

Also, I've been hanging around with some Pre-War car people lately. It's been interesting to hear some of the problems they have to deal with. One of these being "metal fatigue." We can say this has never happened on our cars before, but our cars have not been +/- 56 years old before, either.

Andy M.
In salty Chicago