Re: [Chrysler300] Gooding Auction Result

I hope my comments weren't taken out of context.  While part of that younger generation, my cars see road time.  Two years in a row I've driven the 1 of 4Champagne Gold 300C 800 miles round trip to Carlisle.  This past year I put around 1k miles on the 1 of 3 sunburst yellow 300F.  I'm finishing up a 59 NY convertible now, one of nine known to exist and will put it on the road as well.  The only reason I carried a trailer to Carlisle this year was I wanted to bring more cars than we could drive lol.  Brought Dad's G, my cinnamon G, the C and the F.  I picked up an E last year that needs a little work but will be on the road soon.  Most of the times if you see my cars on a trailer, call the police, they've been stolen haha.  The exception is wanting to show off more than 1.  I think these are amazing cars, I'm truly in love with them.  I love telling the stories about them to my generation.  The goal is to open up a forward look museum in my home town next year, we'll see how it goes.

Mike McCandless

In a message dated 1/25/2017 6:11:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ryan_hillc300@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Yes, for me, I'd much rather own/drive a much less expensive clone or non-original example of a rare car than the real thing. (Maybe that's why I have a Sport instead of an 'L') The only reason for that is I couldn't justify all the extra money I'd have to shell out, merely to have correct parts/options as related to the VIN. There is often literally no difference other than numbers and most people, even serious enthusiasts, can't tell the difference. I enjoy cars because I like their lines and shape, how they perform, and how I feel when I'm behind the wheel. A car is the sum of all of its parts, it doesn't matter to me when and where the parts were assembled, only that they were assembled.

John, I like to drive my cars as much as possible and fully intend to wear mine out myself rather than someone else....I get it too!

Ryan Hill

From: John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: January-25-17 2:12 PM
To: 'Ryan Hill'; 'Rich Barber'; 'Mike Mccandless'
Cc: kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx; 'John Holst'; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Gooding Auction Result

You make a very good point Ryan, about certain motives in the hobby centered around going mainly for the most money, latest trend, not the car. I never cared what it was worth,  just liked the car--- fixed up nicely is part of that . But now you get afraid to drive a 300F convert, in case some loser kid keys it etc

I was fixing an F tach, a few months back,  broken glass front (!!??) pointer deranged and  loose, picked up somewhere many years ago . Inside the MOPAR tach part box (replaced? ) I found a  a very sad 2 page note (!!) about a guy in Nevada telling “whoever fixes this” that he had parked his letter car at a service station for tune up and brakes , to be done next day, ---overnight someone broke into it and broke every piece of glass and all the dash parts with a hammer. That kind of thing starts when someone with no grey matter at all  gets envious of a nice car. It really really made me sad. Note was 30+ years old. Still bothers me.

So , say you have 300F convert for 100k, and another one with a 440 / 727 in it for 80. Saved 20 k is how I look at it. But for museum, you need the good original one. To park forever? I read once of an East Coast  guy who had done a perfect 300D , he started thinking one day that “someone else is going to drive my car around, not me,(!!!)  after all my years of work on it!!” he got in it and went to California. Paint got chipped etc.  I get it. Have not done it…yet.