Re: [Chrysler300] Tranny exchange

There's a way... with all things being relative, how practical it is depends on your point of view...

I have done it on a 60 Dodge a few years ago, using a 62 torqueflite for the change...so going from memory here...

You need:

- a 1962 or younger crankshaft in your 413 engine so it will accept the flexplate coming with the 727  torque converter.

- a torqueflite trans mount.

- a 1962 or younger torque converter.

- a starter that is also 1962 or younger.

- torqueflite throttle linkage and maybe the firewall linkage pivot.

 There maybe other stuff to add to the above list but I think it covers the major components needed for the change.

The 300K torqueflite has a park cable that you will not use in the F.

I did not change the driveshaft in my 60 Dodge upgrade since the 62 torqueflite has the E-brake behind the transmission like the 1960-61 cars have, so the length of the driveshaft remained unchanged...but the K has the E-brake on the rear wheels, so you will probably need to change the driveshaft also? I'm not 100% sure on this one. And of course, you will have to re-think your E-brake system...transfer the E-brake system from the K? Involves changing rear brake components...practicality takes a beating at this point in my opinion, although 64 brakes are somewhat easier to set compared to 60-61 brakes...

So it seems to me it would be much easier to make the change using a 62 torqueflite vs a 64 torqueflite ...

Whether you use a 62 or 64 trans, your F will be a bit lighter...727 60 pounds less than CI Trans??

Have fun and good luck!

Jean-Yves Chouinard.