Re: [Chrysler300] FW: 300H in-line trans filter

Re: [Chrysler300] FW: 300H in-line trans filter

I think it is a good thing to keep or have . The  early trans had only a metal mesh, big holes really do not make it as a transmission filter . Metal dust is generated by normal wear. Somewhere around early 60's they went to Dacron fine pore TF filter to catch the small bad stuff . Then dropping the in line makes some sense . Same deal as engine oil. You could jump out that oil filter too .. Small bad stuff wipes out close fit smooth bearings and dirties or jams valve bodies. Wicked fussy today on this .. why fluids can be left in for 100k . I had trouble on and off with brand x power steering pumps wiping themselves out and putting junk in steering box. So started using a " transmission cooler return line filter " in ps return line to avoid pulling steering box to clean out.  ( nothing to lose? Was thinking ) it has worked ok . I do not have  a number , but believe it came from Napa. Looks like a huge gas line filter can , made of molded plastic . Not specific to Chrysler . So ask at Napa? Keep it . Even add it to pre 62 TF ? Also good is to add magnetic drain plug. I have done that on our rear ends too , and gives a way to drain it . BMW ones on line cheap. Get metric tap to put in . About 3/8" hole .
John

Sent from my iPhone