RE: [Chrysler300] 300G Cooling System Over Heating..

RE: [Chrysler300] 300G Cooling System Over Heating..

I do not question at all your experience Mark, and it could have the exact same roots, but ideas that water sits a time in radiator to cool best are incorrect. The way to think of it is to get rid of the most heat, the whole radiator should be hot and at the same temperature—whatever that temp is!!…..otherwise some of the radiator face is not removing any heat, which obviously cannot be as good as all of it removing  heat. . The faster the water flows, (thermostat open) the more even the radiator face and the more heat it is taking away, as then all the radiator face is hard at work. Same inside the block. This idea of it takes time to cool ( Or heat) a car engine ,or “pick up heat” is widespread, so no criticism,

Smokey Yunick started it with 3/8” aperture washers in small block Chevies, saying it gave time for the water to get hot inside, (higher temp coming out) and cooler in the radiator bottom ..and measurement of temps with and without the washers showed , YES, that was true. What was wrong was his thinking,---if he took out the washers all would be the same (lower) temp as intended (outlet temp drops a lot because  more heat has gone out!  Engine is still adding same heat as before, but outlet water is cooler=more heat went away. …. and the formerly hotter water at outlet would be everywhere cooler..what we came here to do right? Lower the temp?

This instead of thermostats that had failed on him in races. .

But what you describe could still be wrong pump, exactly right, but caused by cavitation. A too aggressive pump will cause suction (low pressure)  very much  suction, at the  bottom of radiator. Near the pump inlet , at lowest pressure the water might then boil at like 180 instead of 212 (opposite the action of a pressure cooker, or high pressure cap , they raise it). Low pressure drops boiling temp at pump inlet .If it cavitates,  as this is called , all the pump has to move then is water vapor (cool steam) and flow can slow way down. Note that on the highway your thermostat starts to close due to wind in radiator, restricting flow causing the pump to try harder to suck the water into the bottom…This is like gas line vapor lock, for same reasons. On hot days.

I have a hydroelectric generating plant, we have the same problem if too much “draft tube suction”  which is the 7-8 foot drop  tube into the river after the hydro turbine…you want suction, it adds to power, but too much and relatively cool river water boils just under the turbine blade , and it is violent,  and damages the turbine blades (hard to believe but true—like water hammer in steam heat ---as “cool steam” violently condenses back to water with a big bang as the bubbles collapse .

Hope that helps..

John

PS , FYI Heat quantity is measured in BTU, not temp. 100 temp in air is obviously less total heat than 100 temp in a block of steel (try to cool both down!) A gallon of water at a temp holds so many BTU, higher temp = more BTU, yes, proportional , But moving two gallons moves twice as much BTU out with the two gallons . At any temp.

Further, a  mind experiment: you have a very hot 1 foot cube block of steel…squirt with 1 gallon minute or 10 gallons a minute …which cools the block faster? But the one gallon a minute flow , running off, will be “hotter temp” but less heat moving, why it takes longer to cool the block. .