RE: [Chrysler300] 300K motor

Hi, Harry:

The short answer is that you cannot tell for sure that your engine is the original as the engines after 1958 model year were no longer uniquely numbered.  However, you can tell if the engine COULD be the original by looking at the engine code and date stamp on top of the block.  If it has the proper engine (ram 390 HP or non-ram 360 HP) and the date stamp is before the assembly/SO/Shipping Date of the chassis the block may be reasonably presumed to be the original and certainly is “period correct”.  I recall that no penalty is assessed in concours judging if the engine is proper for the car and of the correct model year.  Bad things happen to engines and may require replacing.

The “hemi” engines in 1955-1958 Chrysler 300s were uniquely numbered (but not the identical number as the 4-digit VIN suffix).  The IBM Data Cards of the 1955-58 hemi cars have the engine number manually entered on the card which enables determination of originality of the engine.  This is “Numbers Matching” for hemi-equipped cars of those years.

I have attached a picture of the engine code and date stamp on the ram block of the 300K parts car I purchased for its engine.   It will be installed into my 300K which came from the factory with a ram engine according to its IBM Data Card.  I will certainly reveal this information to its next owner and any future judges that care enough to move the A/C compressor to view the stamp.

Format of the ram engine stamp for the 1964 model year 300K’s:

C300K

12-3-63

I don’t believe the date stamp of the engine going into a given chassis is recorded anywhere.

C300K’ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA