[Chrysler300] Rime of the ancient ME

A quick look at the 1964 and 1970-71 Parts Catalogs indicates that (each year) for the water pump assembly, repair kit and impeller—one size fits all 361-440 with the major difference being with and without A/C—with the 300K receiving the A/C pump and parts with or without A/C.  There are different parts numbers for the different years.  No internal plates are shown for any of the exploded views—except for the ’64 six-banger.

There are lots of different radiator cores for the different-sized engines.  The big Dodge and all Chryslers with 413 had the same core if A/C or high-altitude.  The water pumps may also be spun at different ratios to crankshaft, also.  And, the number of fan blades increases for A/C cars.

180-degree thermostats for all Chryslers in 1964—going up to 185-195 degrees by 1970-71.

Our ’63 Newport with hang-on A/C and 361 never overheated.  A ’67 Belvedere II Plymouth with 383 two-barrel, FA/C and TT pkg overheated above 60 MPH going west across NE on I-80 in 105++ weather.  Could drive 80 MPH w/o A/C or 60 MPH with A/C on.  That was disappointing.  Not the most exciting drive anyway.  I would have thought that testing in AZ summers at the test tracks there would have revealed this limitation and led to an improved design.

Stating the obvious—heat exchange from the combustion chamber to the air-flow through the radiator is huge, complex and subject to change with fouling of heat transfer surfaces.   Heat transfer surface costs the driver money once-when purchased.  Paying for the energy to drive fans and water pumps will be paid by the driver forever after.  Pay up front or pay later. The amount of heat of combustion that must be rejected to airflow is about the same as is actually used to propel the vehicle and drive its accessories.  A similar amount of energy blasts out the exhaust.  Most manufacturers would be happy with a 33% efficient Otto-cycle engine with 20% being a common value for the heyday of our letter cars.  Dr. Diesel’s engines can push 40%, thereby their generally-higher fuel mileage.

Many of the improvements in fuel economy have come from operating at higher combustion, coolant and exhaust temperatures; better internal engine design for cooling and managing fan power consumption with electric fans.  Most all radiators are boxed now to achieve well-known benefits for forced convection near the corners of the rectangular radiator.

Finally, wind-turbine blading size, number and RPM seem to have significant design limitations due to bird kill.  Nothing seems to work to prevent birds from flying through the rotating blades.  One less problem to deal with under the hood of our letter cars.  We must keep the cooling fins of the A/C condenser and radiator free of ingested bugs, birds, cottonwood fuzz & etc., though.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA  (Heating up—atmospherically (80+), cost of power (20 cents/kWh) and politically (98.6+))