RE: [Chrysler300] Door flipper weather strips

RE: [Chrysler300] Door flipper weather strips

I recall investigating the flippers on my ’55 C-300 and found out the springs were OK but the problem was with the little “foot” that triggers the flippers to open and snap closed.  The flat spring-steel foot was apparently originally covered with a thick hard plastic and rests against the top of the vent window frame.  I never could figure out a material that was strong enough to hold up against the forces generated by the frame, soft enough not to gouge a hole in the chromed frame and sticky enough to stick to the steel “foot”.  The steel foot is not thick enough to meet the frame properly and, if it did, would quickly wear through the chrome.    Can’t be a new problem.  Has anyone addressed this tiny little challenge?  Something like what those old black telephones were made of.  Heck for stout and last forever.

Seems like the feet of the springs themselves fit into little troughs formed by wrapping the edge of the SS flipper molding—much like some exterior SS spears on our cars.  Also into little tubular receivers for the spring ends.  The foot can either flip the flippers open or closed as the spring goes over center.

A helpful clip showing fabrication of the springs may be viewed at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaGgLj1XsNg  (For a De Soto, but much the same.)   The same guy also did this one on changing/installing the springs.  The little “foot” is visible in the first part.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLBWiIRlzAM                Not Merrittorious but would be helpful.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

Reproduction flipper assemblies are available for ’55-’57 GM’s but are much shorter.