Re: [Chrysler300] Jerry Kocur

I grew up around the block from Jerry.  He lived across the street from our high school, and in my younger days, I knew him as the guy with the St. Bernard dogs.  Jerry knew my father and watched my dad’s 61 Chrysler Windsor slowly decay while parked in my dad’s driveway.  The car had been my dad’s pride and joy and he just couldn’t part with it, literally, as guys would stop by and try to buy parts off the car.  The car sat from ’78 till ’98, when my mom died.  I asked him if I could bring the car to ME and try to restore it.  It was the first time that he ever handed me the keys to the car.  I had the car brought from MA to ME on a flatbed and proceeded to get it restored.  The first time that I met up with Jerry was at the 300 club meet at Owl’s Head.  i told him that I intended to bring my dad’s car back to life.  The second time that I met up with Jerry was at the 300 club meet at Boothbay when we really had a great conversation and reminisced about Douglas, family and my dad’s car.  I let him know that it was slowly getting there.  When the Windsor was finally road worthy, we drove it to Douglas to show my dad who got very emotional seeing his baby back and running.  We then drove the car over to show Jerry.  He was happy to see it on the road and impressed with the way it looked.  Jerry helped us locate parts, gave us a speedometer assembly and a backup radio.  Jerry also took my dad’s original radio up to John Grady in Harvard to get it to work again.  Jerry said he didn’t mind taking the radio up to John since he was due for a trip to the orchard for some peaches, and if anyone could fix the radio, it would be John.  The original radio works great along with an FM converter that we found on eBay.
Jerry was a great guy, very knowledgable and so easy to get along with.  He will be really missed.
Jan and Linda