Re: [Chrysler300] 300C Voltage Regulator, Spark Plug, Trans Shift Cable

Re: [Chrysler300] 300C Voltage Regulator, Spark Plug, Trans Shift Cable Questions

Hi just want to throw something in here , FYI, no criticism , ever .
 A Personal interest in this stuff as EE .  First , all electronic ignitions drop about a volt on the semiconductor switch .=  1/12 less energy , although energy technically goes as square of volts in a load  ( joules or watt seconds)  ( why 16v racing batteries in drag racing) ; so a significant real loss is  there --compared to points . Not killer but real and 8% (+ ) less maximum Bang --  Than points. Points drop zero volts  . More complex issue than this , due to time constants and dwell time but anyway . .. ... points are a perfect switch, but have maintenance and dwell issues . But are perfect for 10 k miles , dwell no issue till 4000 plus rpm and they will not stop you dead on a back road with an electronic failure .  AKA , "the MSD long walk syndrome". I like points. **

Second , just like welding amps ( the spark milliamperes in arc ) determines energy or heat of spark ( or weld) once lit . And it "burns"  once lit , at under 20kv --way under . So for a given fixed amount of watts, ( mJ) which is volts times amps , raising volts in coil always cuts current .= flimsy burning spark . Everything over 20 kv is just light off headroom , to initially strike spark, just like the open circuit volts in welding before you weld.  .   So a Hv coil is also a  lower milliamperes coil.  But current is how "fat" and hot it is , once lit , .what you want.  It burns for about 1/1000 sec. Very smart EE's optimized that trade from 1910 to 70's , over 60 years, they are way better skilled to do it than aftermarket guy with " high voltage coil. " and a sales pitch. . Gap enters that , as strike voltage goes up with big gap , but agree 100 % that small  sharp clean rhodium or iridium tip lights better , can open gap  a bit. NGK knows iridium gap . Follow them.  Stock coil as optimized by factory skill , with enough dwell,  is fine. About 85 to one ratio is sweet spot . About 40 kv . GM and Chrysler might know about all this?

Last , Chrysler addressed dwell on hi po engines with a second point set that closes very fast after first one opens ( many do not understand that , the why) , it helps keep fat spark to a higher rpm by raising the dwell time points are closed , to fill up the coil energy store.  Filling it takes time.

% more dwell = % more high rpm.

Directly related.

Critical to setup those  right , but they  really work  . Flat out 10% or more better than any single point in rpm. ( take that Chebbie guys) Went 220 mph in NASCAR , land speed records,  all the 60's Nhra. All our 300 records set on points .
I observed a dyno run  on a built 354 hemi  , MSD , 385 hp to 6500. MSD died on the dyno ( right) , guy had "old 300B " distributor in his trunk, threw in, to finish dyno , carb  test etc,
It ran clean to 6600 plus, same HP . So a lot of what we are sold aftermarket is BS . MSD = multiple spark discharge . A late , incorrectly timed second spark  is useless guys, except at idle with fouled plugs.   Idle is not the problem . Save 400$. Paint something else red.
But NGk iridium plugs are terrific, only way to go .
   Last , GM hei 4 pin switch module is a terrific thing, way better than mopar boxes, which simply replace  points with a transistor  .. and drop a volt, and even delay spark a bit. Which can retard spark a bit at very high rpm. HEI controls coil current --limits it actively --to a value about 15% more than ballast R does. why no ballast resistor is ok  on HEI ; it has a dedicated complex custom  chip , really well done. . I got way into this, I know what's inside both  . I was working  on a dwell extender for points , and adapting points to HEI, to gain hi rpm hot spark, ( for Point mopar!) our distributors  are great , --tach drive etc  just need more dwell . you cannot do that HEI adaption with simple wiring and resistors, ( despite internet wisdom) it will not hold timing .
Best coil I found is Delphi GM truck E core HEI mid 90's . Not in the cap . You can use with our points stuff or mopar box , and ballast resistor  , you need their pink and white plug pig tail , pink is + . At Rock . Stock mopar coil is almost as good .
Just sayin ... FYI ..
all this other stuff can work , no issue. we are all after real Understanding .. hope this helps with that ..
John

** capacitor critical to points ,  lots of Chinese junk in new parts . If embossed X in can at end opposite a black wire wire it is junk .  Weak spark on points almost always a junk capacitor ,and really frustrating , it is  intermittent inside. Comes and goes. Hard starts poor running that fixes itself. Leave the old one if tests ok by analog ohmmeter

Sent from my iPhone