Re: [Chrysler300] 300G Radiator fan shroud over heating problems

Re: [Chrysler300] 300G Radiator fan shroud over heating problems

I wil second Andy’s comments. I bought my G coupe almost 18 yrs ago. It had been parked for approximately 20 years prior to my ownership. It ran when I got it, but I changed oil, plugs, etc…. As soon as I did a garden hose flush, I started fighting overheating issues. I had the radiator rodded out, recored, change thermostat, hoses, re-flushed…. all to no avail. At this point I knew there had to be something wrong internally. As soon as I pulled a cylinder head, this was confirmed. The water passages had barely 1/8” hole due to crusty junk being built up in what should be probably a 1/2” diameter water passage.

In my circumstance, the engine rebuilder could not get the passages cleaned out with the normal Hot Tank process. They ended up sending my block and heads to Redistrip, the place where they dip entire car bodies to strip away paint and rust. This worked. I rebuilt the engine to stock specs (as far as the cooling system is concerned) and have had no issues. This includes driving across country and back, including through the Mojave dessert at 113F degrees.

This issue is what prompted the entire restoration of that car. I have probably put 40,000+ miles since on the car and have had no cooling issues (other than freeze plugs, which is another story).

Richard