Re: [Chrysler300] 300K black convert

300K would have been 8.50-14 which were nominally 28.1 to 28.4 inches diameter with section width of about 8 inches and a tread width of about 4.75 inches.

My data on 225/75R15 runs right at 28.3 - 28.4 OD with 8.6 - 8.9 in  section width and 6.0 -  6.3 inch tread width. Exceptions are Coker Trendsetter (blackwall) and Hankook Optimo H724 (narrow whitewall) both quoted at 5.6 in tread width.  I don't have data on American Classic in my file but should be in the same range.

Data for 235/70R15 shows same load range as 225/75R15 but 27.8 - 28 inch diameter with 9 - 9.6 section width and 6.9 - 7.2 tread width.

Data for 235/75R15 shows 28.6 - 29 diameter with 9.1 - 9.3 section width and 6.3 - 6.7 tread width. Exceptions are Hankook and Cooper tread width at 5.8 and 5.9 inches respectively and older Goodyear Regatta II at 7.4 tread width. I dont have data on Vogue.

My guess is tread width combined with diameter is going to be the critical factor at extremes of steering (dont ask how I know that - been there done that), particularly with non-stock wheels which may have different offsets.

But then how much different is the K from the J which had 7.60-15 tires at 28.7 -29 dia and 7.6 - 7.9 section width with 4.6 in tread width (again TREAD WIDTH at diameter may be critical as newer tires have much wider treads).

Personally I would be looking at 225/75R15 to keep closest diameter to original 8.50-14 (and if the 235/70R15 worked for you , the 225/75R15 should also work.

And again as a personal choice I would try to stay closer to the 1 inch original whitewall (don't care for the overwidth) leaving pretty much my choice with the Hankook H724 or a Nexen AH5 with a 5/8 inch whitewall and I would lean toward the Hankook with the slightly narrower tread. Both of these are mass produced (Indonesia or Korea but not China) and can be had in the $70-80 range with free shipping if not better on eBay or Discount Tire Direct or Simple Tire, etc., when on sale. And both Nexen and Hankook brand tires are used in Original Equipment on cars and trucks sold in US.

Or if you choose the 235/75R15, you have other choices Cooper (Mexico) and Toyo (Japan) at 3/4 inch whitewall (but Toyo is 29 inch OD) as well as Maxxis (Taiwan) and maybe others by now. Note Multi-Mile, Mastercraft and a few others are made by Cooper in same configurations. And personally I would avoid Chinese made tires such as Lanavigator and Milestar that come up frequently in eBay).

Best, Ed

Edward Mills Antique Tractors 1930-1960 Antique Cars 1960-1985