[Chrysler300] Horn blow contact ring ---some info? 57, maybe others. An

[Chrysler300] Horn blow contact ring ---some info? 57, maybe others. An Investigation. might help you...

There is a brass disc about 3” in diameter under the fully assembled steering wheel hub, looks like a factory part of steering wheel, that  a little spring loaded wheel rides up to and touches  , as you turn steering wheel…like a record disc and needle.  The spring mounted wheel part is attached to the directional switch in the column top,..(it needs oil) it carries the horn grounding signal to a brass disc, to a pigtail on the steering wheel ,  connected off the brass disc,  that goes to the horn switch proper , in the front part of steering wheel , all of which then turns with steering wheel --and holds the horn ring you press. .

While trying to restore a 57 wheel, this disc was missing, ?? someone took it away! I did not know about it at all . It is held on by a (later found out!) pressed onto steering wheel hub retainer ,a  cup like metal U shape retainer (a ring ) that also has an indexed  to steering wheel tab sticking down to cancel the turn signal . The tab comes in two widths for power steering (wide , about an inch ) and manual steering (narrow about 3/8”) .this apparently corresponds to smaller movement  of wheel on power steering to cancel.

While trying to figure out how this horn roller thing could possibly work, or connect to the horn switch, (the no disc part was not apparent !) I got a second wheel which had the brass disc still on it , (AHA!) but a manual wheel, a wreck. So,  how does this come apart ?If it comes apart at all??   It must come apart  if disc is gone,  but the tab / disc holder /canceller is back on. I was looking at making a bearing puller like thing, but decided that my  wrecked manual wheel, from a 57 Dodge was junk anyway,  so went at ….with a small , long taper cold  chisel from the side , sliding on top of the brass, moving around it 360,  I was able to easily remove the pressed on ring and so the brass disc . But now new stuff !!  there is sheet or ring of thin rubber on each side of center hole and it also goes through the center hole like a grommet to insulate the disc from the steering wheel and hub and the pressed ring which is holding it ..all of those are grounded, so horn would blow all the time if it touched.

While the chisel did some damage, the ring of rubber was off center and in trouble, on the way to sticky tar. . Almost allowing shorting out . Went looking for this part  , found a few on e pay but 50$ -60$ area, but listed for 1960 cars, not 57. May not be same size piece. But same idea.  .

So looking for one --or junk wheel with one on it, 57-59. Or the rubber insulator. One less mystery….

One could make this…we will see.

Horn blowing in the night? Or not at all? We have a suspect.

john

Posted by: "John Grady" <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>