Re: [Chrysler300] Kerosene Heater

30 years ago doing work on my friends 58 Saratoga I noticed she had a kerosene or gasoline fired heater/furnace as original equipment. I think it was made by Borg Warner.

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of 'Rich Barber' c300@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:37 PM
To: 'Ray Jones'; 'Keith Boonstra'
Cc: 'Val Jeffers'; 'Chrysler 300 List'
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Kerosene Heater

I had a gasoline-fueled heater installed in a ’61 VW Karmann Ghia convertible in Omaha.  It worked perfectly but only had one outlet—at the floor.  No defrost.  So, all engine heat was directed to the windshield and the gas heater provided instant warmth—to our feet..  The benefit was all in that instant heat and that was a good thing in cold country.  There was a lot of fire near the under-hood gasoline tank.  Good German engineering made for a pretty safe design, I believe.

Our ’61 & ’64 Chryslers and 383 Plymouth and Dodges always warmed up pretty quickly but those cold vinyl seats really sucked the heat out of our backsides.  Rear-window “defoggers” helped a little but we still flew rather blind in the worst snow, ice and sub-zero times.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA (Not a problem here—pushing 70 today)