Re: [Chrysler300] 57-58 round motor mounts , maybe earlier?

On 5/28/2018 7:45 PM, John Grady jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] wrote:

> I tried to replace the rubber interior of 392 style motor mounts —
> with the built in bolt (  new ones came from Turkey!) but could not
> get old one out of its can , despite a lot of pressure by a 1/4 rod
> through the hole at top onto internal carriage bolt head . New one
> (for inside ) is very well made , but no tabbed can included  . I
> think the rubber might originally be vulcanised to the outer “can”
> from the factory ? Upon closer inspection , rubber in old one is in
> great shape but seems to have allowed bolt to move up into can maybe
> 3/8” allowing metal to metal contact of a large metal washer with a
> square hole  ( on bolt) at bottom of rubber ..allowed it to  hit the
> wall / lip of can , on one side , toward  block . Both mounts like
> that . Problem observed originally was oil pan just about hitting tie
> rod . Engine down in frame . But again , rubber in the mount looks
> like new. One mount was completely missing the flat washer with
> barbs. ( nice ....) That flat washer under the rubber has barbs ? to
> dig into frame , —- this was loose right there for thousands of miles
> —I can see deep wear marks—  maybe bolt  ( which is on purpose offset
> in can) tries to slide toward block ? Or all of it just moved up into
> the rubber ? Looks good — no broken bonds to rubber at bottom ,
> almost as if rubber shortened inside the can somehow ?   Whatever .
> Decided to keep old one and space up mount 3/8” inch with washers (
> which have no barb )placed  under the barbed washer. It seems , just
> looking at the engineering of it ,  full torque on a  1/2 bolt will
> clamp this like a rock with friction clamp force to frame , without
> any barbs at all.  Barbs (and , big clue, square hole ) with
> carriage bolt like design might be to prevent turning of bolt shank
> in  the rubber at the factory engine  install ??  Which would destroy
> bond. That says outside cannot be allowed to turn , must be
> vulcanised to can. Point is —- be sure it is torqued to max . at
> frame. There is a bonded in steel plate showing in the rubber bottom
> face above the barbed washer so you are not squeezing on rubber if
> you tighten it . Whole situation weird , wonder  what was intended ?
> Also found out different diameters  of externally similar cans /
> rubbers exist , 392  vs Dodge? I think the old one , spaced up , with
> good rubber and an apparent strong bond to can is better than a
> looser fit new one ? Glued in ? Loose? ??? No instructions.
>
> To cure the hitting — I sawed 1/4 “ off that interfering block side
> of barbed washer .... anyone been in this dance before? Thank you
> ,!!
>
> PS  — probably a common issue — and cure might be capable of causing
> way more trouble than the problem ... if it ends up loose in can but
> was vulcanised . It Might lift off ? John G
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> ------------------

What you described as the 'replacement' motor mount reads like what
I was used to seeing when working on these.

The 57-58 392 motor mounts I have messed with in the past did NOT have
the rubber part bonded to the cup part of the mount. In the 70's all
the replacement mounts I ever bought were just the rubber part with
the big 'washer' that bit into the frame bracket, the installer had
to reuse the 'cup' part.

Now, given lots of time and heat/cold cycles its just possible that
the rubber part has aged enough to alter its dimentions to the
point that its now crammed in there REAL tight and doesn't want to
come out. But out it should come in my experience, however limited
it might be.

I believe that the off center nature of the mounting bolt is to allow
the motor position to be in the proper orientation.

I have heard of some cases where errant rubber that doesn't want to
to vacate its hole being burnt out so that the metal part that needs
to be reused can be cleaned up and then put back in place.

Side story, used to work for Bell system. They had lots of test gear
for all sorts of the various bits and parts of the switching system.
I Tried to clean out an old metal free standing storage cabinet.
I found several small sized boxes of self contained test gear
UNremoveable on a lower shelf.

The rubber feet on the metal box had decayed over the time these things
went unused. as the rubber altered its molded shape it then later
because just a puddle of dried go that didn't want to let go of either
the test gear case or the metal shelf it decided to 'retire in place'.
The storage area, indoors in an 100% all of the time Air conditioned
environment.

--
Paul Holmgren
Music hits of Yesteryear