Re: [Chrysler300] A/C Compressor Clutch

Michael,

I have tinkered with these old RV-2 clutches a fair amount - particularly the '57 - '60 era ones. These were large (7.5") and and were integral with a 6.25" double pulley. Chrysler used a pair of compressor-boss-mounted external brushes riding on the coil contact rings to energize a rotating field mounted to the pulley. The clutch was attracted to the energized field and drove the compressor shaft.

For 1961 they changed from brushes to a stationary induction field bolted to the compressor boss instead of the old brush-and-rotating-field setup. The diameter of the clutch itself was reduced to 5.25" diameter, but they still retained the same 6.25" diameter pulley as used on the old-style 7.5" clutch. This smaller one should be the correct A/C clutch for your '61 G. If you do have the large one it must also have associated brushes attached to the front of the compressor to energize it, and this would work for your system but would not be the correct one. These two clutches are interchangeable on the RVcompressor shaft.

There is little to fail in these old clutches that isn't fairly easily resolved.
- If the bearing has worn out, it can be easily replaced
- If the clutch face is not grabbing, it may need the "air gap" corrected. Although that is unlikely, there are adjustment screws on the front of the clutch for that.
- If the electromagnet is not energizing and pulling the clutch in, check the amperage draw of the wire to the clutch with an ammeter while supplying 12V to it. You should get a reading of 2.5-2.9 Amps. If it reads open or a short, you will have to replace the fixed field on the compressor - or you can alternatively replace the entire clutch. Classic Air in FL may have that for you and it MAY be #47833 or 48833.  I don't know. Or you could call Northwestern Auto in Grand Rapids. Or you could check out this Ebay listing at only $80 ........

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Air-Distributors-47833-A-C-Compressor-Clutch-CHRYSLER-RV2-2-grooves-5-25/183270994191?hash=item2aabcd710f:g:5GEAAOSwF25bIDy0

If you want just the clutch/pulley without the fixed field, I have a 5.25" one available.

Good luck.

Keith Boonstra

-