Re: [Chrysler300] Welding blocks

Hi all:

Years ago, there was a small company in the San Fernando Valley that was selling the "stitching" units for very large diesel engines.  As noted in the e-mail below, several holes were drilled in a line about 90 degrees perpendicular to the crack and overlapping one another just a bit.  Then the stitching material was inserted.  This material looked similar to the nails in a nail gun but the material holding the dowels together at the point of tangency was the same material that the dowels were made of.  This material was then forcefully inserted into the holes previously drilled.  The "dowels" were minutely closer together than the holes drilled, thus pulling the two sides of the crack tightly together.  The holes had to be spaced and drilled very precisely in order for the insert to work.

Depending where the crack is, this method may or may not work.  If the crack is near where the pistons are nearly tangent to one another, it won't work because there is not enough material to work with.

Hope my description is understandable as I am not familiar with the terminology used for these devices.  Good luck!!!

Dan Reitz
Bell Canyon, CA