[Chrysler300] Camshafts

Quick question , may or may not have a quick answer .
Several times I looked at the chart George made long ago ,( on our site)  confused me day one — still does. I assume first group or two rows of numbers horizontally labelled degrees  btdc abdc etc ( not exactly the letters he used  )   is the intake valve , so bottom set of two is exhaust valve ? . Not labelled on charts. While it says “overlap”  in degrees , today’s cams talk about lobe  centers , typically numbers in the 108 to 112degree  area , which I understand to be the distance the exhaust and intake valve patterns are offset rotationally . ( easier to visualise , if both same pattern) This can probably be derived (?) from overlap , but the concept expressed this way imparts a better idea of what is going on — and it impacts driveability of car a lot. I am faced with selecting this number on a small hemi . After many years of too little or too much duration and all its ills,—just   like Chrysler on J ,—-I think  the 268 to 270 area is good for a 300 type street application , as is as much lift as guide and piston spacing , rockers ,current  springs and flat tappet   components can handle ( now about .450 -.470 .. = more than before...) .

Note that ..050 lift is often used now, for duration , as opposed to poorly defined initial lift start ( w or without  .020 lash? ).
But reading on this , that change is worth about 50 degrees less duration ... 270 the old way becomes ~. 230@ .050 .

So what are the lobe centers on 300D , 300B and 300J cams (demonstrably  best 300 results?) Leave ram  manifold discussion out  of this , as much ad hoc misinformation is floating around about impact of ram on cam . Another subject .. !
anyone into this ?
Thanks John

Sent from my iPhone

<*> Your email settings: