From: mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx [mailto:mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:47 PM
To: finsruskw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] regular 354 Windsor block to a HEMI???

 It is true David,

   But it is also necessary to change the pistons.  The relief area cut into
the top of the pistons to prevent piston/valve interference is located
slightly differently.  Almost everything above the cylinder block has to be
changed. ie.  heads, rocker systems, push rods, exhaust manifolds, and
rocker covers.  In most cases the intake manifolds can be interchanged, but
i'm a little uncertain of details after '56.  Pre-'55 won't work (they are
wet).  Hot heads says that cylinder head locator dowels were enlarged
slightly for '56, so depending on the years of parts being used that can be
an issue.  Hot heads can provide shouldered dowels so the conversion can be
made without drilling.
     I have 2 C300 engines that I built largely from 2 301 poly engines that
had freeze damage to the blocks and from abandoned 331 C300 blocks.  Both
blocks still had original 331 solid lifter camshafts, I purchased hemi heads
('55), non adjustable rocker sets,    New Yorker rocker covers, original
C300 intake manifolds and hemi exhaust manifolds.  I was also able to find
two pairs of original '55/early '56 carburetors.
     Main bearing caps, connecting rods, oil pump, oil pan, timing
components and cover, water pump, fuel pump, distributor, dipstick and tube,
and valley cover came from 301 poly.
     New egge pistons, new piston rings, new main and rod bearings, new
camshaft bearings, new solid lifters, new adjustable push rods, and a full
set of new gaskets for the '55 hemi  all came mostly from Hot Heads. A good
valve job on already good '55 heads topped it off.
    Gee, Have I forgotten anything?

    It was a fun project to preserve what I feel are very valuable parts.
These two engines are fully operational and I run them on a regular basis to
assure that they are well preserved.

    I'm uncertain of block design details of the '57 and '58 354 poly
blocks.  The '55 and '56 engines shared a 2 year only water pump design.
What I don't know for certain is whether or not there is a difference in the
timing cover and whether or not the older water pump design can be fit to
the later block.  I will guess that it can.   Someone please tell me if
that's not correct. I'm curious.

-------------Marshall Goodknight    3NE551536 AND 3NE552113

Drink This Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy Celebrity Local
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5b761b13888741b1357b3st04duc

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: