From: John Grady [mailto:jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 7:06 AM
To: Rich Barber
Cc: Gary Nelson; Mike Moore; Gary Barker; EMills_ATC; mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx; finsruskw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; 1970hurst@xxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Rear wheel bearings 300H

Just a FYI , know a lot about the bad outcomes of messing here , as Rich mentions . I think that story is on the site somewhere about the thrust pins in the sure grip and impact on shims . Done by guy I bought car from , he wrecked the axle . Caused me huge grief on the Dan Ryan driving the newly acquired car back to Boston . As in blocking it at 6pm

..

The Timken  style taper roller bearings they used are a work of art . They are not like failure prone GM pressed on ball bearings . Ball bearings marginal on side thrust , Timken love it. I have never had one fail spontaneously . It cost a lot at factory to do all the shims  etc to do this originally . An engineering decision to do it really right. Same thing as used on boxcars on RR. They go literally millions of miles.

So changing them arbitrarily may not be wise. If ok leave it alone , maybe inspect and put back together with new seals . If not leaking leave it alone? Plus the problem with soft junk or faked bearings arises now. Stick to “real” Timken or SKF .

I would really leave this alone unless it had failed ... mho .why ask for trouble?

Has anyone had a failure of original ones? Not “replaced”  ones?

Bearing failures are statistical unless dirt gets in there . A new one may fail due to clumsy work or dirt .. or just not good quality . Or statistics while first running in.

Fronts more likely to be hurt by potholes etc — and dirt from “repacking “ or incorrect preloads. Personally I love Timken design bearings . Engineer hat on . Call it an input ... .
John G

Sent from my iPhone