Re: [Chrysler300] Lettercar Trivia

Curtis; when I started  collecting, I thought I’d go to the pay window on every one.  Happened twice, out of, oh maybe, 15 or so cars and those were two cars I didn’t really like that much in the first place and never thought I’d make a buck.  I know i’m not a seasoned collector or have done it for decades and surely know I’m not that smart, but I didn’t think I was that dumb.   What I came to realize was that what I needed was not so much a change in aptitude but a change in attitude.  I taught myself a lesson and here it is.

I have come to love the provenance of every car I have, the history, the journey.  Then, I love the look, the sound, the smells, the lines,  the chrome, the colours, the notoriety, the stories, the fraternity and fellowship, the thumbs up and the wide smiles from strangers and the quiet feeling of contentment in owning some of the finest pieces of rolling automotive art on the planet, not to mention the peerless engineering leadership Chrysler is famous for.

Now  I’m not awash in cash.  I have some plastic cars for every day chores but nothing, nothing makes me feel like I feel when I’m rolling in my ’55 Forward Look Imperial or my 300 F Banker’s Hot Rod (thank you Terry).  I’ve got a ’49 F1 pick up too and it’s no less enjoyable in its own way.

First, decide what you’re going to use it for first.  I’ve had trailer queens but prefer well sorted drivers.
Then, if you like the look and the feel of the ’70 Hurst, step up.
 I see $40-$50k for them and there are so many choices in the Letter Car line up out there at that kind of money.

If it’s a financial investment you’re asking about, you could be disappointed.   If it’s an investment in your passion, you and I will have a lot to talk about.
After all, drive an Audi Q5 or similar off the lot and you’re down $20k by the first of next year.  Rather lose the same kind of dough over a decade and enjoy ’spending it’.

Seriously, the market moves on.  The 50’s lovers old enough to drive back then are 80 + years old now, the 60’s lovers are 70 + years old now.  You start running out of new owners as time moves on; the guys don’t want to, or can’t any longer, work on them and are content to live vicariously through others.
You’re buying into a smaller market, just like I have.  Damn the market, I want my cars for me and only hope to find a committed ‘custodian’ of my good fortune when I finally toss the keys to him/her.

Good luck and I hope you buy one!

Mark.