Re: [Chrysler300] John Hertog’s 1961 Dubonette 3 Speed Manual Newport

Re: [Chrysler300] John Hertog’s 1961 Dubonette 3 Speed Manual Newport

Back in the day , that transmission was rated awful . I believe pin drive syncros still, like earlier mopar , but bigger / stronger gears. Jim Bartusks knows all about it .

 Drag racing guys were screaming for 4 spd stick in 61 , like 409 and 421 Pontiac . Chrysler said T10 used by GM would not hold max wedge . True too , 421 Pontiac  blew them all the time . So we had this same 3spd trans behind max wedge . Later 833 4 spd being developed . If you try to shift fast pins break off synchro ring and drop into gears= boom .
When I put together 392 stick in this period , I used Packard trans . Did the job, fast shifter . Cone syncros like T10 but twice as big .
Cool thing to remember .. saw a 413 max wedge with this 3 speed beat a 425 409 . Knob on stick was up to dash! Really long lever .. moved a small amount at top!

Sent from my iPhone not by choice