From: John Grady jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 5:35 AM
To: Rich Barber
Cc: mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx; mplindahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Pointless

Rich , very good questions. On some cars( F I know)  the ignition / accessory power goes dead when cranking and the only power feed to ignition is the ballast jump wire . (Trying to unload battery during crank ) . If you connect that wire together to ignition wire for some electronic  thing it will try to power Whole car  through that wire by back feeding the whole accessory / ignition circuit . Ignition Switch contact —and that wire ( S2) not made  for 30 + A will fry eventually . If you hook like stock , you can blow your new electronic switch ( or maybe not) as current will be very high ( 2x normal) with no ballast  R during crank .. That is ok with points. ( hotter start spark) The correct answer is a relay driven by that start wire that transfers electronic ignition source power to 12v hot during start and  returns it to ignition power after .  Doing “something else “ is a cobbled up thing

..after market stuff in general not designed for that start circuit arrangement . Another reason to stay stock .
 I do not see how anyone can “rebuild “ a vacuum advance .. it is crimped solid . all around . Someone like Philbin May have old stock cans, but rubber is old too , but that is better than a torn one. Why I was chasing a new in production one to adapt to iron 300 distributor . .
I know the 300 iron distributor is for sure a better device than any aftermarket thing . The problem is the skill needed to set up right — and not  add a ball of tape to flex wires etc , and mis adjust dwell  or dual Point overlap . Or put in a nice Chinese intermittent aluminum capacitor. The ball bearing mount of the vacuum Motion in those keeps the gaps correct as vacuum works . Unlike later ones.  I am not sure what aftermarket has for that , or what advance curve you get — .you do not know either . Probably SB Chevy .  Plug wires need ohmmeter check . 40 k ohms or less and ngk iridium plugs . Check capacitor with analog meter ( dvm useless)   It should swing up and return to infinity on 100k scale . As stated earlier all the 140 mph records and all the 56 racing wins were with points. And factory curves. The problem is then -rather obviously - not the points, it is skill to get it right with good parts. It is not as easy as it looks. You introduce a  3 rd party thing and it’s own problems , but may work ok too . That is ok . Important — Use the coil they tell you to . Not low ohm or high output. Electronic spark performance ( non CD) is Not better  than points ,— but  maybe far less subject to foibles of a “golden screwdriver “ mechanic  that is  not a  golden screwdriver at all —- . ... or else it would be working right. As it did in 56 .  Imho  .

Electronic eliminates the skill variable , a good thing for Chrysler and GM . And owners.

By the way not against electronic ( to me hot setup is 4 pin HEI no ballast , GM 90’s truck EI coil and later mopar reluctor distributor )   . Just hate to see a great thing engineering wise like the stock 300 dual point distributor panned . I love the thing , as an engineer . Beautiful .
Sent from my iPhone not by choice