Fw: [Chrysler300] 1955 300 production question

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: John Lazenby <french_fryguy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Rich Barber <c300@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 06:25:59 PM PDT
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 1955 300 production question

I recall that Don Petty had the Canyon Tan car and recently sold it—and that it also had air/conditioning.  It was a Phoenix car and the A/C may have been dealer-installed.

A number of years ago I was at Don Petty's place and saw in person the car in question.  First, it was not Canyon Tan as I know the color well owning a '55 T&C in that shade.  Canyon Tan as my wife describes it is Silly Putty in color.   The Petty car was more of the same shade of tan used on the dash panels of C300 examples. There was no evidence as I remember that this car had been repainted after it left the factory.

It was a late serial number and did have factory air per documentation I've had for over 19 years on all 1955 A/C (factory installed) examples.  Per my records it was the last example built that year.

I remember that Petty sold the car and it was restored by a shop in the Phoenix, AZ area and then showed up at one of the auctions.  The then club member who did this is not current in the 2019 roster.  One last item on this car is that the radio antenna was on the passenger front fender after the restoration which was not the way the factory did  it during the original build.

There were far more of them factory built than most people realize.  I've not released those VINs unless the owner of one of them contacts me and ask for verification of his or her car.  Too many people make claims about their car that simply are not the way they were built and I would say that this is why the service the club offers is so valuable to current and future owners.

John Lazenby