Re: [Chrysler300] Tom Turners Terra Cotta F coupe for sale

Re: [Chrysler300] Tom Turners Terra Cotta F coupe for sale

I’m not quite sure what you mean by scammers. Do you mean shell bidders? I think there is the possibility that shell bidding could occur. I have never bid on a car, but as I understand it, you have to sign up and give them a valid credit card. If the car reaches its reserve and thus is sold, again as I understand it, the card is immediately charged the 5% buyers premium. If it is not sold, of course no premium is charged. I think there is always the possibility of non-paying bidders, although I assume their credit card would be charged the buyers premium, and I’m sure they would be excluded from future auctions. And I guess there could be shell bidders, but from the seller's perspective, if a shell bidder didn’t result in another higher bid from a legitimate bidder, he would lose the sale.

One interesting, and perhaps controversial, feature of BAT is the fact that people can and do in some cases trash talk cars. The philosophy of the site is to let complete and open discussion, often based simply on opinions, occur. I remember a case in which a customized Corvette, which was very unusual looking, probably received about 50 comments on how stone cold ugly the car was. Obviously, that’s not good for the seller in terms of reaching his desired price, but it is allowed. I remember another particularly vitriolic discussion when the seller was insisting that a Sunbeam Tiger was actually a factory built Tiger, versus a converted Alpine. Some commenters insisted that it was not a real Tiger, even though the seller offered some evidence that it was. There was a lot of debate about the quality of the evidence provided, including challenging the opinion of two members of the local Tiger club, who inspected the car in person, and concluded it was in fact a real Tiger. But the people challenging that opinion decried their qualifications to make the judgment, and insisted unless it had gone through a special inspection by certified Tiger experts, it could not be considered a real Tiger. I would assume that discussion had some negative impact on the ultimate price of the car, but it did meet its reserve and was sold. Basically, when listing on BaT, you accept the possibility that there might be some strong negative opinions expressed about your car.

In some cases, the BaT moderators will delete comments that are particularly rude or offensive, but they allow quite a bit of latitude for people to express their opinions. And as I mentioned before, often times the opinions aren’t even about the car itself, but might relate to the marque or some other general type comment. In many cases, someone will point out that a certain supposedly factory option wasn’t available that year or challenge some claim the seller is making. The site sort of has a “culture,“ in which it is acceptable to offer opinions about originality, condition or other factors related to the car's value. The sellers on BaT simply accept that as part of the process.

BaT in my opinion, however, is known for running very honest auctions, often with 50 to 100 pictures of the car being sold, as well as walk around videos, running videos, etc. The seller doesn’t even write the description; the BaT staff writes the description based on input from the seller. There are some sellers, mostly dealers, who have sold 10 or more cars on BaT, and of course there are lots of individual buyers, but there are also people who have bought multiple cars. In general, it appears to be a very honest and acceptable mechanism for selling cars.

After writing all of this, I realize I am straying a bit from the requirement on this forum that the information be pertinent to our letter cars. I apologize, but I wanted anyone who might be considering following the auction of the F currently on the site and perhaps bidding on it to gain a clear understanding of how it all works. Incidentally, there have been about 50 comments regarding this car, and letter cars in general, almost all of them positive. One sharp observer noted that a picture of the clock was not correct for the car, and that picture was promptly removed. As I write this, the bid is at $29,000, with about 4 1/2 hours to go. As I mentioned, however, most of the bidding seems to occur in the last few minutes.

Shannon
300F convertible

"Kindness to animals may be the best measure of a person's character."