Re: [Chrysler300] 383 Distributor Drive Shaft Bushing

Re: [Chrysler300] 383 Distributor Drive Shaft Bushing

Chrysler is adamant in all their service manuals about expanding those to size in place , with a burnishing tool, which also sizes the internal bore correctly .. it probably expands the outside too to lock  it  to the block so it will not spin.
Any problems there are a disaster as oil pump drive gets involved .
I’d get the critically sized correct tool and do it  right  .? Borrow from auto machine shop or have them do it . Usually done as part of block prep with cam bearings .
If old one still there might be ok, measure?

On this, I used a DC mopar performance distributor on a build and it promptly seized in first thousand miles , causing mayhem. They are cheap junk now , no Oiler to get to top bushing  —like the old good iron ones had  . Taking apart , there was NO lubricant from factory on top bushing . Taking apart to get oil in is crazy but would do that on a new retrofit .  I Also  drilled a 1/4 hole in distributor lower housing between the two bushings to be sure oil gets in .. Also a way to oil bushings during assembly .
John

Sent from my iPhone not by choice