RE: [Chrysler300] Brake and fuel system advice for my '55

RE: [Chrysler300] Brake and fuel system advice for my '55

Jim:

Power Brake Exchange rebuilt the MC and booster on my C-300 and it worked fine.  I recall they had to fabricate a part or two.  www.pwrbrake.com          The large-diameter diaphragm in the booster may be susceptible to cracking.  This is a critical part.  Even at best, the ’55 brake system may disappoint.  There is a reason for the 9”-wide brake pedal—there is room to get both feet on the pedal.

A very light cleanup pass on the brake drums may hopefully leave the required remaining thickness.  The shoes will adapt to any remaining gouges and ridges. Then take the drums and new brake shoes to a shop that will arc-grind the shoes to the individual drums.  Continue to tighten/adjust the shoes as per factory instructions to minimize clearance during the shoe break-in period.  Otherwise, the brake pedal will approach the floorboard too closely.

Removing rear drums can be challenging.  Normal wheel pullers may not work as tension needs to be applied to all five bolt holes.  Adding a couple of arms to a three-arm puller can help.  Be sure to keep a number of threads of the castellated nut on the end of the rear axles while pulling the drum lest the assembly leave you singing soprano when the drum pops off.

Making sure the sending unit gets a good ground is critical.  I and others have brazed a lug to the sender base plate and ran a wire from there to a good chassis ground.  Try and find a brass float.  Corks can get partially saturated to the point they no longer float.  Be sure the sender base-to-tank-top gasket is new and resistant to today’s fuel.  Create or borrow a device to facilitate balanced tightening of the circular lock ring that locks the sender base to the tank.

Just checking—is your car listed on the club registry?

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA