Re: [Chrysler300] Brake Fluid for a 300F

Re: [Chrysler300] Brake Fluid for a 300F

FYI — Soft pedal with silicone is because you got air entrained in it . Takes months to get out , If ever , if in a car . Must pour very carefully from undisturbed container sitting on a shelf , still for a year , imho. And extremely smoothly , slowly ideally down a paper ramp into master . Anything to avoid aerating  it . Just dumping it in makes tiny bubbles . Micro bubbles stay suspended.  Soft pedal. I would avoid pressure bleeders . Obviously if you shake can once you are done for .
It is standard in military ( where I got mine surplus —some large cans on eBay )   . Rubber loves silicone , —silicone seals rubber and preserves it twenty years or more . Critically, it  does  not absorb water .I really believe “sealed   for life” .. like a stored military truck. But if you do not know about the easy aeration it will not work .
All glycol absorbs water ; on our cars it ends up over many years in the bottom of wheel cylinders and makes a rust pit as it is heavier than glycol. One day you get a very big sudden surprise .
On several of my cars I added a micro switch to pedal mount to get rid of problematic and in the way hydraulic switches.  See 70’s dodge trucks for idea /switch , or make bracket yourself for  a real 15 amp large body micro switch . Pedal up holds it open. Helps with dual master room and plumbing too . Although not absolutely sure on any given pressure switch,  silicone is  more chemically innocuous than glycol (?) so switch failure is most likely due to lousy switch — not silicone   ,— plus, and a biggy , a spilled or sprayed drop of glycol , and your paint is absolutely trashed due to the chemical aggressiveness. A leaking master gasket took all the paint off my firewall , under master .
MBenz requires new brake glycol fluid every two years . I did not do that, result was $ 2000 in bills as rubber in ABS system valves fell apart and seals in rear axle disc brakes too, brakes failed after 5-6 years.  ... .personally I think due to crappy German rubber , but it happened .
Temp differences in glycol DOT rankings mean little on drum brakes , but critical on discs . Might as well use best , however.

I would not use the stuff on a rebuild.     I have seen those pits on 4- 5 300F, enough for me -/ — and once had the sudden brake failure they imply . As shoes wear , or are replaced , seal moves to new place in wheel cylinder  can uncover pit, your brake fluid squirts right out around seal lip .
Just info , your mileage may vary . Most of above info learned the hard way ... If you go glycol , change it every few years .. keep record..
John

 Ps , glycol probably ok in a car driven a lot , gets warm under hood frequently water vapor probably leaves due to higher vapor pressure etc . But a sitting  car must soak it up  .. military does not have “ soft pedal ”

Sent from my iPhone not by choice