RE: [Chrysler300] Re: Heather and AC vents 1964 300

RE: [Chrysler300] Re: Heather and AC vents 1964 300

Harry:

I’d like to help but I need to know which vents you are talking about.  The snorkel vents on top of the dash?  The two small vents near the doors at the lower edge of the dash?  Or one or more of the vacuum-operated “doors” inside the heater-A/C box?  These “doors” are all operated by actuators that apply vacuum to either side of a diaphragm to open or close the “DOOR”.  I found the shafts of my actuators to be lightly oxidized which caused them to hang up in the grommet due to friction.  I polished the rods with Scotchbrite and lightly lubed them.  The rods can be pulled out as far as possible to assure access to the portion that must slide through the grommet.

I bought a small vacuum tester kit and found there were vacuum leaks around the edges of the grommets so I sealed those with weatherstrip cement.  The vacuum signals to the four operators are dependent on having decent vacuum at the engine, connection of the vacuum source hose to the port on the rear of the engine intake manifold and then to proper action of the sliding cams in the heater switch.  These cams are operated by the push buttons on the HVAC controls..  There are seven ports on the plastic heater switch—each being a small-diameter plastic nipple.  These can easily be broken off by careless removal of the rubber manifold block .  The heater switch can be rebuilt by John Grady and involves replacement of the sliding cams and repair of broken nipples.

I don’t think the vacuum actuators can be repaired if the internal diaphragm has failed.  Used and operable actuators might be obtained from salvage yards or members’ spares. The actuators are all different.  Mark them as you take them out.

There is a knob to the left of the ignition switch marked as “FLOOR AIR”  this is to be used to route more or less of any temperature air to the floor.

Hope this helps.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA—In self-quarantine in a hot spot but no symptoms.  Hope you and all readers are doing well.