RE: [Chrysler300] Pertronix 40,000 volt coil

RE: [Chrysler300] Pertronix 40,000 volt coil

Karl, John, and others,

I too don't pretend to understand all of the physics and electrical engineering that goes into the design of the ignition systems, particularly the coils, but I also did have a little bit of an introduction to the EE as a ME major in college who chose some EE course elective studies.

My thoughts have always been that there is NO magic in the spark.  It's only function is to "light the fire" and if it's a good enough spark to do that and if it's done at the right time then there's nothing you can do with the spark to enhance power output of the engine.  Our human senses are not capable of accurately measuring things and we allow them to LIE to us and make us believe there are benefits that don't really exist.  We can easily perceive performance enhancements that are not real.

I have LOTS of experience with ignition systems, admittedly mostly of the breaker points variety and especially magneto ignitions, their failures and their reliability factors and I cannot say that I think electronic ignition systems are better.  There are benefits in each of the systems and it's "to each his own preference".

Many of you know that I drive a '55 Chrysler 300 which I have converted to 12 volts and  electronic ignition of the MOPAR 1970's design.  My main reason for the conversion was to simplify the maintenance of my ignition system.  The HEMI engines have the rear mounted distributor which is brutal to access with the dual quad carburetion system.  It is impossible to do a really good job of installing new breaker points in that distributor without removing it   from the engine.  I have never regretted making that conversion.

My experience with the Pertronix is very limited and so far I have good feelings about their systems.

----------Marshall Goodknight-----
    1965 Barracuda 273 4-spd owned since Oct '64 still uses points

Please note: message attached