[Chrysler300] 300F distributor — point cam

[Chrysler300] 300F distributor — point cam

Hi all,
Got into one of these today , looked terrible , covered with dirt , but upon disassembly and lubing . It has excellent bearings  , almost zero play and so hardly used . Both original jump wires have their black cotton braid  intact !  Thrown open ( no cap) someplace 40 ? years ago , came with an F parts pile .
Was pretty impressed with really beefy second stage spring , extremely light first  stage . Must hardly advance  at  all over 2500 or 3 k rpm . Made me wonder if “recurved” to “all in by 3k “ ??- hot rod type retune , of maybe they did that at the factory   . What a beautiful piece of engineering though . Chrysler / autolight at its best.

So , upon inspection of parts , the 8 lobed point cam has rust pock marks just before 4 of the lobe peaks. It is one welded piece with the crossways  metal strap that ? ? limits advance by the two advance slots . I am not sure if that piece is the same item across all period auto light distributors or if they changed slot length to limit total advance . Or used the beefy spring.  The F slots are .39 long , apparently all stock , F . The cam itself must be the the same for any V8 single or dual point that it fits in . ( engineering view of that .. ?— difficult precision part to make ) Unlike later versions of this piece , that are flat on underside ,it has a small pipe like extension or spacer under the whole thing about 3/16” long . I looked at a 55 plymouth v8 one , it seems to have the same detail there . Also an iron body . But have not measured slots  yet on that. Tbd.

But those rust pocks will chew up point rubbing blocks  — imho . So looking for a new one ,— so the advance limit ? thing pops up . As does ccw or cw , ( B vs A block) although part seems symmetrical . Learned something new today , maybe . Also missing one complete cap snap setup , the one without the index tabs . Imagine using this for small parts? Not today !

Comments , parts or thoughts welcome .
Thank you ,
John Grady
Still learning ....