From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of 'Henry Schleimer' henry.schleimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 7:33 AM
To: 'John Grady' <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'Chrysler300' <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Re 14 inch wheels for 1960 chrysler

When my 300C restorer project turned up here in Australia it came with 14x5.5” rims and no hubcaps! I sourced local Valiant rims that were 14x6.5”. They were used on high performance Australian Chargers and Regals that had 205/70 tyres. These are fairly rare now as most Valiants used 6” rims with 185/75 tyres and the last Valiant was built 40 years ago, but some are still around. The extra rim width translates to a 1/2” greater offset (1” wider) track. However, this gives the drums greater exposure to cooling air which I think is a good thing. From experience with my first Valiant, it also helps feel and stability with power steering.

The wheels have five large cut outs (sports style) but that doesn’t show with the hubcaps on unless you crawl under the car. I would have thought there would be other US Mopar models with similar 14x6.5” rims that members in the US might be able to use? I know this won’t suit members seeking originality. With the trouble I had finding decent 300C hubcaps, I probably should have bought new wire wheels and 15” tyres!

My friend Mick Maxwell over here is on the hunt for 1 off original 300D size wheel as he already has 7 others to suit his 2 300D projects. Every person’s situation is different!

Cheers

Henry