Re: [Chrysler300] Re 14 inch wheels for 1960 chrysler

Re: [Chrysler300] Re 14 inch wheels for 1960 chrysler

Hi
I had a lot of experience with
These wonderful 14 in steel
Wheels. On more than one
Occasion I had the wheel
Crack right at the safety
Bead. And this was at least
35 years ago. So beware of
Really old wheels. Now they
Are 60 years old. If ya do
A lot of performance driving
I would go with repo wheels
If available.

Bob Haag

On Jul 23, 2020, at 5:07 PM, Ryan Hill ryan_hillc300@xxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Michael, age has little to do with condition.

Many of the old cars I’ve worked on have half the mileage of my current daily drivers. Corrosion is a factor but fatigue from rough roads, hard driving, and total mileage is also a big concern.

I would be comfortable using a 60 year old wheel IF I could verify it had low mileage and hadn’t been subjected to conditions that would lead to deterioration. If I could fully inspect it for signs of deterioration (cracks, corrosion, fatigue) and am satisfied with the integrity of the wheel, I’ll use it with just as much confidence as I would have in a brand new wheel. (Perhaps more confidence in some cases....)

My two cents...

Ryan Hill