Re: [Chrysler300] 300g cracked ram tube exhaust leak

Re: [Chrysler300] 300g cracked ram tube exhaust leak

Hi it is made of cast aluminum and can be easily vee’d out and welded by a specialty shop .( unlike cast iron )
The crack may be caused by a stuck heat
Riser valve just below the manifold . I had that situation melt the floor of ram under carb in one of my cars , makes it a bit hard to get a good idle (!) . That tidbit took me a year to figure out on my first 300 in 70’s. Got “ they are all like that” ( low vacuum) from the experts . Not true .
Check that internal floor under carb is intact and carefully rebuild heat riser .

We made new elbows with thicker flanges , the factory ones break off . Care to tightening sequence obviously matters . The heat valve sticks full on when parked a long time , rusts in that position . I noticed early on that you can often hear a rattling noise on a ram car at idling when heat risers are working .. ( loose)

Car will run ok with no heat once warmed but fussy at first and longer warmup , can live with that . I have removed heat and regretted it , fussy at start gets to you. Depends on ambient temp too .
 A compromise is open the. exhaust Valve fully , then put a thin SS washer on either end of heat elbow with 1/4” hole . Also Don Cole has used “core plugs” for this . This is similar to J and K setup . George advocated that way back and he was right . Use washer even if valve is working . Limits flow .
After weld will need machining probably , so maybe find good machine shop to fix it ( do whole job) , If floor damaged job gets larger .
Or can block heat with sheet of copper at elbow and down pipe , but really ought to fix manifold . Whatever you do, do both sides . Highly unequal heat gives car a lot
Of problems  .
Good luck with it !
John
PS never hang muffler or head pipe off exhaust manifold , they break off the manifold flange easily . Ram exhaust manifolds are Unobtanium . 1000 to fix right ( stitch and weld , California) . Does not make your day !

Sent from my iPhone not by choice

> On 8 Sep 2020, at 7:34 am, Michael Marmorale michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello I just bought a 300g and have been tracking down the exhaust leaks.  The next leak I'm working on is the ram manifold under the drivers side carb. The front of the ram tube is cracked in the front of the bottom of the ram on near the carb where the small exhaust tube Attached to it.   The front bolt is bolted in on an angle and cracked the tube or the tube cracked and made the bolt go on an angle.  Not sure only had it a month.
>
> Can I disconnect the rest of the exhaust tubes and run it that way or what are the best ways to repair the cracked area?
>
> Can these run Well without the exhaust heating the under carb area?
>
> I bought all the small gaskets from bob at simplex.
>
> Thanks mike
>
> Michael Marmorale
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> Please excuse errors.